Skip to main content

So long, EDC534...

And just like that, EDC534 Digital Authorship comes to a close. This class came at the exact right time for me as I start my new position in a new district. I'm excited to embark on the action research project I've laid out in this final project. Over the next year I will consider: How can technology integrationists utilize digital citizenship themes when working with teachers? Can digital citizenship inspire new ways of utilizing digital tools across the school curriculum? More in my ignite video below.



Thank you to my classmates and to Dr. Hobbs, for continuing to inspire with content and pedagogy. I've learned so much. See you all this summer at the Summer Institute in Digital Literacy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Reading Comprehension: Digital or New Literacy(ies)?

LABELING AND DEFINING LITERACY IN 2019 Like so much in the world of education, there are many terms for overlapping concepts. Digital literacy vs. digital literacies vs. new literacies vs. online reading comprehension vs. digital inquiry is just such a situation. To my mind, all speak to the skills, dispositions, and behaviors needed for full engagement in the 21st century. So why all the labels? On the one hand, many terms for the same concept has a balkanizing effect: efforts become fragmented and progress might stall in the face of ongoing parallel initiatives. I see this also as I get exposed to new networks of people working within parallel and sometimes intersecting professional communities. The connected learning network vs. the digital pedagogy network vs. the media literacy network vs. the digital literacy network vs. even to a smaller but certain degree the OER network and the digital humanities network. There are certainly differences in goals, styles, and membership, but...

Deeper Understanding via the Internet - Is It Possible?

I'm always thinking about how technology can enhance understanding and learning, but also how it can just as easily diminish those same things. Trying to tell the difference requires a sensitivity to how technology more generally enhances and diminishes our lives. I'm consumed by these thoughts as I put together a lesson on skills needed for the digital age. I'm teaching this class to 11th and 12th graders as part of a digital citizenship unit in a civics class (more on that in future posts). To think about what skills are necessary I'm thinking about the pitfalls that kids and adults alike fall prey to when using the Internet.  Howard Gardner and Katie Davis' 2013 book  The App Generation: How Today's Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy, and Imagination in a Digital World  provides some great insight on this topic. Gardner and Davis explore how the Internet and the technologies we use to go online most often lead to only surface level understanding of comple...